Tom Wasow has been selected as a LSA 2015 Fellow, joining a very distinguished list of linguists that includes current Stanford linguists Joan Bresnan, Penny Eckert, Paul Kiparsky, Stanley Peters, John Rickford, Elizabeth Traugott, Arnold Zwicky, and Beth Levin.
Congratulations and sesquikudos, Tom!
Rob Podesva received a grant from the The Roberta Bowman Denning Initiative For Humanities And Technology At Stanford 2014, which funds projects that promote focused attention on Humanities and Technology and that demonstrate the benefits of cross-disciplinary approaches in research and teaching.
Daniel Galbraith received a Faroe Islands Travel Scholarship for his research on Faroese ballads.
Hanzhi Zhu has received the Robert M. Golden Medal for Excellence in Humanities and Creative Arts for his senior honors thesis “Case, Agreement, and the EPP: Evidence from Kazakh”.
News has just been received from the Office of the Vice Provost for Graduate Education (Patricia Gumport) that Linguistics graduate student Isla Flores-Bayer has been awarded a prestigious Diversifying Academia, Recruiting Excellence (DARE) Doctoral Fellowship from Stanford University. She was selected from a competitive field of nearly 100 applicants from seven schools and 40 departments. The fellowship, intended to help students prepare for successful faculty careers, and to use diversity as a resource in education, will provide tuition and living expenses for two years. Celebratory events (a kickoff lunch and new fellows dinner) for this year’s DARE cohort were held on June 4.
Congrats, and sesquikudos, Isla!
Dan Jurafsky has been approved as the Charles Fillmore Professor at the 2015 Institute, pursuant to terms of the generous bequest made by our late colleague’s widow, Lily Wong Fillmore. He will be the inaugural holder of the position.
Vera Gribanova has received a Stanford Humanities Center Internal Faculty Fellowship for 2014-15.
Tim Dozat will be doing an internship at Alphasense this summer.
A number of our graduate students have received fellowships recently:
- Isla Flores-Bayer has been awarded a Diversifying Academia, Recruiting Excellence (DARE) Doctoral Fellowship from the Vice Provost for Graduate Education.
- Sam Bowman has been awarded a Stanford Interdisciplinary Graduate Fellowship (SIGF), also from the Vice Provost for Graduate Education..
- Both Seung Kyung Kim and Tania Rojas-Esponda received Mellon Fellowships.
- Seung Kyung has also received a DDRO grant from VPGE.
- Sharese King has also received a department fieldwork grant to do work for her QP2 in Bakersfield, building on the earlier Voices of CA visit there.
Congrats to you all!